A R T I C L E
uilding a home is an exciting journey, one that is filled with anticipation and planning. From selecting the right design to watching your property take shape, each stage of construction is an important step toward creating your dream space. At Builders Brisbane, we are committed to delivering quality construction in a timely manner. Here’s a detailed guide to the typical build times for the various types of structures we offer:
Granny Flats: Typically 3-4 Months: If you are looking for a small and quick housing solution, granny flats are a great option. They have a compact design and can be built in a short span of time. We take care of every step of the process, from planning to execution, to ensure that your tiny home is ready in 3-4 months.
Loswet Homes: Typically 5 Months: Lowset homes, or single-storey homes, are more complex to build than granny flats. They usually take about 5 months to finish, but this may vary depending on the size of the floor plan. Lowset homes are suitable for families who need more space and comfort.
Double-Storey Homes: Typically 7 Months:
Building a double-storey home requires more time than a single-storey one. These homes are large and luxurious, and they usually take about 7 months to complete. Some of the factors that increase the time frame are the use of steel beams, different types of cladding, multi-level roofs, and scaffolding that needs to be set up and removed.
Duplexes: Typically 7 Months: Duplexes are a type of housing that have two units attached by a common wall. They usually take about 7 months to construct and can offer some advantages over single-family homes. For example, duplexes can make efficient use of land and provide a source of rental income for the owners.
Extending Build Duration: Landscaping and Other Considerations
While we strive to meet the timelines mentioned above, there are factors that may extend the build duration by up to a month. Here's a look at some common considerations:
Landscaping: The aesthetic appeal of outdoor spaces is vital. Custom landscaping can add weeks to the construction process, depending on the complexity of the design.
Weather Conditions: Unpredictable weather can lead to delays. Rain, strong winds, or extreme temperatures might hinder the progress of construction. Living in Queensland, we have some amazing weather during the winter and large amounts of rain in Summer. Keep in mind the seasons when talking time frames.
Permit and Inspection Delays: There are various factors that can affect the duration of a construction project. One of them is the legal and regulatory aspect, which involves obtaining the necessary permits and passing the required inspections. These processes can sometimes cause delays or interruptions in the work, depending on the availability and efficiency of the authorities. At times, it is important to plan ahead and anticipate any potential issues that might arise from this aspect.
Customisation:If you choose to add or modify certain aspects of the construction, it might extend the timeline depending on the complexity of the changes.
At Builders Brisbane, based in Ormeau, South East Queensland, we take pride in our craftsmanship and commitment to timelines. We understand that your home is more than just a building; it's a personal space that reflects your taste and lifestyle. That’s why we work closely with you to ensure that every detail is attended to, even if it means spending a little extra time to get it just right.Should you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us. We are here to help you build the home of your dreams, or an amazing investment to catapult you to a brighter financial future.
Installing NBN in Granny Flats
Bringing the power of the NBN into granny flats involves a well-coordinated process that requires careful planning and execution. We prepared a step-by-step guide on how NBN installations are carried out, to help you deliver a seamless digital experience for residents.
Site Survey and Design
- Before any physical work begins, a site survey is conducted to assess the best location for the NBN connection box (also known as the NBN Network Termination Device or NTD) within the granny flat.
- Builders and NBN technicians collaborate to determine the optimal cable routing and installation points.
- Internal cabling refers to the wiring that connects the NTD to various data outlets within the granny flat.
- Builders work with NBN technicians to ensure that internal cabling is neat, organized, and compliant with NBN standards.
External Cabling and Pit Installation
- Depending on the location of the main NBN infrastructure, external cabling might be required to connect the granny flat to the NBN network.
- If necessary, technicians install external conduit and connect it to underground pits that house the necessary cabling.
Connection Box Installation
- The NBN connection box is installed in the predetermined location within the granny flat.
- This box is where the main NBN fiber-optic cable enters the premises and is connected to the internal cabling.
Activation and Testing
- Once the physical installation is complete, NBN technicians activate the connection and perform tests to ensure that the NBN service is up and running smoothly.
- They check for signal strength, data transfer rates, and any potential issues that might affect the quality of the connection.
- While NBN technicians ensure the wired connection is operational, it's often up to the resident to set up their Wi-Fi network.
- Builders can provide guidance on optimizing Wi-Fi coverage within the granny flat, including the placement of routers and access points.
- Before handing over the granny flat to the occupants, builders can provide information on how to make the most of their NBN connection.
- This could include tips on troubleshooting common issues, optimizing Wi-Fi performance, and using NBN-enabled services.
Considerations for Builders:
One of the benefits of flexible cabling systems is that they can adapt to changing technology needs without requiring major changes in the infrastructure. Flexible cabling solutions can be easily reconfigured, upgraded, or replaced as new devices or applications are introduced. This can save time, money, and resources for builders and users alike. Flexible cabling systems also offer more design options and customization possibilities for different spaces and purposes.
To ensure a smooth and effective NBN installation, it is essential that builders, NBN technicians, and telecommunication experts work together closely. Each of these parties has a specific role and responsibility in the process, and they need to communicate clearly and coordinate their actions. A successful NBN installation depends on the quality of the infrastructure, the technical skills of the staff, and the customer satisfaction.
To avoid cluttering the granny flat with visible wires, it is important to plan how to conceal the cabling for both internal and external devices. This way, the aesthetic quality of the space is preserved and enhanced.
Installing NBN connections in granny flats involves a combination of technical expertise, careful planning, and a commitment to delivering a seamless digital experience for residents. By understanding the intricacies of the installation process and working in harmony with NBN technicians, builders can ensure that their granny flats are equipped to meet the digital demands of the future.
As a third-generation designer and builder, I have building in my blood. I've been designing and building my whole life. Specialising in management and company building, we have built an amazing team in Builders Brisbane to bring your dreams into reality!
Read more blogs
Understanding Power Consumption, Meter Board Relocation, and Secondary Meters in Construction
October 20, 2023